I need to get a few things out of the way before I start this post.
- I don’t hate fat people. I’m fat and I know how hard it is. I don’t care what other people do to their bodies. What I do care about is people spreading misinformation and lies, and harming other people.
- Overweight and obesity are objective, medical terms. This article is more talking about obesity. Being a little overweight, while still harmful to your health, is not as bad for you as obesity and its many classifications.
- Obesity is bad for you. This is not up for debate. If you’re going to try to debate this point, waste your time elsewhere.
- Obesity is always caused by overeating. There are some conditions that can cause you to overeat, or to cause your body to burn fewer calories (which just means you need to consume fewer calories), but that does not mean the condition is not caused by too much food. This is also not up for debate, and if you’re going to try to debate this point, waste your time elsewhere.
- I do not advocate fat shaming. Calling people names and treating them like shit has only been shown to cause them to engage further in their destructive behaviors. But there is a difference between being mean and being truthful. There is a difference between calling someone fat and suggesting that maybe they shouldn’t eat so much, or telling them that their behavior is unhealthy.